Friday, July 15, 2005

Yesterday’s Alaska Weather: No electricity
Today’s (literal online) Alaska Weather: Smoke

I woke up today with a headache. Unusual for me, I looked outside wanting to deduct humidity or rain to officially blame the headache on sinuses.

But no, it was foggy and smelling like smoke. I feared the worst with an all too common forest fire that might have unraveled over night. There are forest fires going in the Kenai Peninsula just 3-4 hours south of here (where Casey is fishing), and maybe the dryness sparked one up here?

Yet, I went to bed at 3:00 A.M. and I didn’t see a large glow or smell smoke last night?

With no local channels on our sat. tv (which is dumb of our landlord), I took a drive up town to Willow. Uptown Willow consists of a hardware store, a Texaco gas station/grocery, and the Willow Post Office. Nothing on the newspaper headlines, no people frantic; it seemed all is normal with them. Normal besides the dark grey hovering fog that surrounds the whole Mat-Su Valley. So I got online to the Alaska Air Quality webpage!

SMOKE!

Although the picture was not as bleak as that “ash falling” San Diego morning we experienced with Matt and Tracey on one of our escapades to SoCal, it was and is still surreal feeling.

I guess I should NOT do pilates or ride the bike today. And we thought we left the poor air quality in California – forest fires are crap!

So, I’m jammin’ to the Sundays today. The house is in order everyone. Now it’s just go through and make my belongings even smaller. For those of you who might know, or might not want to know, I started my Clean Sweep (watched it today! YES!) my first year of teaching by getting rid of all my McDonald’s Happy Meal toys. Just give them to 8th graders as prizes; they’ll love ‘em! HA!

Liberating! Sell all your stuff and give it to the poor – that one Bible verse ;) Alright! Sorry I’m obsessed!

Oh, so how can electricity be considered weather?! Last night the electric went out! And I drove up town to see if the gas station was without…they were all fine, and by the time I got back it was back on at the house. That was the only other time I’ve left the countryside abode. It went out when we were house sitting “in town” too – hmm – Africanesque?! I can only assume it will get worse in the winter with freezing wires, ground, and large, HUGE plops of snow everywhere always.

OKAY!

Have a good weekend! And don't let me catch you at Vampiric First Baptist Tabernacle out on Heath Road!

"So what I'd like to do is have everybody line up in a circle" - Kencil Box

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home