Monday, August 23, 2004

U.K. Relived

England is an old, tired country. It has creations of buildings and castles and whatnots jam packed into considerably small(er than American) cities, and I say creations, because they looked created. Someone actually slaved countless days, months, years to put these habitats together.

And these habitats speckle across the countryside as well, thrusting one intensely into the mysterious realms of Medieval thoughts and visions.

It was surreal. Every ounce of American and British history that I've ever known, read, and scene in movies flickered in and out of my mind, and through every obsessive picture I took.

For about 85% of the trip I just observed. I took note of how people sat on a crowded train from Gatwick to Victoria Station, London. I took note of how London was bustled through in extreme busy fashion by locals, U.K.'ers, and foreigners alike.

I took note of Moira the tour guide's accent and discussion of British royalty and London city history atop of that infamous double decker red bus.

The herds of sheep and rolling green hills, the glimmering of a grey, Northern Hemisphere Alaskan-like sea (that was the North Sea flanking Scotland eastern shore)...

The intrigue of an historic Oxford Univerisity town, the awe of C.S. Lewis' home and peaceful life, walking his pond and trails, looking at trees that inspired his spirit, giving a glimpse into his epic, truthful warrior writing for the One.

Observations slinked into my sleep at night about Edinburgh, Scotland with it's ghosts, ghouls, overcast drearyness, and unique artsy, muscial culture. Slimey, partying youth immaturities and smokers take away from this city's beauty and charm.

York was quaint and historic with walled city gates, and the heart touching "Jenny Cook" who lent her B&B to us for 2 nights.

And ever so, enthsiastically I took account of any and everything pop culture. If you see my 650+ pictures you will laugh at such a bountiful collection of human creations/buildings, and street signs.

That was fun. And it, the whole experience, was intriguing. I thoroughly enjoyed the touring (most done with Mom (and Dad). Although busy-busy, it was worth it.

And throughout the trip, my mind subconciously and conciously kept score at how things were different. Interactions of business, eating, walking on the left or the right? (who knows, there's so many cultures there just walk wherever), newspapers, ads, music magazine lingo,

Magazines in general (so many seen and weirded at in bus, train, airplane stations), bikes riden and not ridden, food and drinks ordered and payed for, stares and blank looks from Scottish shop owners who don't want English pounds.

People we came in contact with were mostly tourists or pub and shop owners. The time with Londoners was as empty as one would expect in any large city. Everyone with their own purpose, doing their own thing.

Yet, there was a sense of unhealthiness. Somewhat physically, but mostly a sense of spiritually drained, careless, or severely uneffected by emotion. Again, that could be directly related to the "big city" theme of most busy, business, and work driven city people.

All in all, and inevitably, this trip fortified my "God's eye" view of each and every one of us. It sounds so simple, but I saw people as people. As creations of God, and as receivers of His love and mercy all the same as "we" are in America.

Go ole'd "broadening my horizons"? Could it be so cliched...yup. Self-centered U.S. Self-centered fallen world. A world full of humans...not stuff...people...

We all need Him. We all get to choose Him!

Back to normal blogging, and on a side note as I listen to Rooney, it's such feel good, loosey goosey music, and funny "guy honesty".

And then the POD shuffles to this...

"You're hammered down, echoing voices, sing in your ear, amidst my pride, angels surround you."

If I let it, that song written by my brother Justin would make me weep for hours on end. Just weep for the grace of God. Just weep in humility on the floor, in the dark, alone, with Him.

I'd like to let it. Someday entirely, or bit by bit. However, the Lord can seep in, I'll allow it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home